... With all these covers!


*crickets chirp*


I thought it'd be a good day to post some of my favorite cover songs.  Normally, I really don't like to listen to covers, but there are a few that put a smile on my face.  I'm even going to post the original songs, so consider this a double playlist!

"Addicted to Love" by Florence + the Machine (orig. Robert Palmer found here)
I love what Florence has done to this song.  It's smooth and dreamy and brings a whole new light to this 80's classic song.

"Your Song" by Ellie Goulding (orig. Elton John found here)
Ellie's voice is so beautiful.  I love watching the music video for this because it's so simple and pretty much like herself.  Being a Moulin Rouge fan, I could have put Ewan McGregor's version on here, but I also have respect for my friends and opted out.  This version came out a few weeks ago, and I really can't stop playing it.

"Exit Music (For a Film)" by Vampire Weekend (orig. Radiohead found here)
I'm not a huge Radiohead fan, and there are only a few songs that I'll actually listen to (mainly the ones that Bret wants to listen to).  I know this cover doesn't do the band "justice," but I really enjoy listening to it!  This song is completely transformed from a slow, trippy song to one with some toe-tapping beats.


"Bad Romance" by Lissie (orig. Lady Gaga found here)
I've included this song because: 1).  It's a Lady Gaga cover and 2.) It's the song that brought Lissie to the blogosphere last year.  For some reason, people couldn't stop talking about this cover for a few months.  While I really enjoy it, it's not the greatest thing I've ever heard, but it's fun.  I mainly like the parts where she sings that Rah-Rahs.
 
"You Really Got A Hold On Me" by She & Him (orig. Smokey Robinson found here)
I think Zooey Deschanel is great, and this cover makes me want to sway back and forth in Bret's arms.  It's so dreamy and romantic. 


"Time to Pretend" by Jonsi (orig. MGMT found here)
Somehow, two MGMT songs have made it to this playlist.  "Time to Pretend" is the first.  By not including those first notes of the original song, Jonsi has managed to make over this song into a floating and whimsical song.


"A-Punk" by Rockapella (orig. Vampire Weekend found here)
This song just cracks me up.  A few months ago, this song kept popping up everywhere.  I think with the hype of "Glee" going around, it seemed appropiate to also include this in the list.  Obviously, in my opinion, the original is better.


"Hey Ya" by Sarah Blasko (orig. Outkast found here)
Sometimes, "Hey Ya" pops up when I shuffle Bret's iPod.  It is one of those songs that when it comes on, you can't help but listen to it.  With this cover, I can listen to the original song without feeling like a need to pick up a picture or SOMETHING and shake it.


"Girls Just want to Have Fun" by Greg Laswell (orig. Cyndi Lauper found here)
The song that started it all -- Greg's rise to fame... My obsession with Greg... My obsession leading to us actually meeting Greg... Leading to the best.  night.  of.  my.  life.   It also brings me back to Freshman year and driving home from college with Bret.  Greg's version is the complete opposite of Cyndi's original version.  In fact, his version of "... Have Fun" doesn't sound fun at all.  You can take your pick.


"Pursuit of Happiness" by Barbara (orig. Kid Cudi found here)
I love both these version.  Kid Cudi's original version will always be my favorite (I mean, c'mon... KC + Ratatat?? = <3), but I love how these Barbara guys decided one night while hanging out to create this song "as a joke."  Now, people know their name. 


"Kids" by Dr. Fox's Old Timey String Band (orig. MGMT found here)
I included this one because I love singing along to it.  The original song got really old for me... Really fast.  Plus, the music video for this is scary :(   The folky spin on it makes the song happier!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones