October is the greatest month in the entire world.  On top of being the month that has Halloween, it is..... ADOPT-A-DOG MONTH!!

There are so many reasons why you should adopt a dog.  However, if you are considering getting a pooch, please make sure you are ready to include all of its wonderfulness into your life.  Dogs require time, money and attention.  As much as I try to encourage people to adopt a dog, it isn't fair to adopt a dog that you don't have time for.  The reason why almost all dogs are bad is because they have bad owners.  Some people will blame it on the breed, but what it really comes down to is whether or not you have the time to spend with the dog.  With that in mind, do TONS of research about a breed before getting a dog.  Bret gave me "The Dog Bible" for my 22nd birthday, and I think I read that thing from front to back, trying figure out what kind of dog I really wanted. 

I've included a doggie playlist to this post so you can listen to it while you read (can be found at the bottom of the post) along with some doggie videos.  The only song on the playlist that isn't "dog-related" is Dinosaur... But I had to put it on there because Nutmeg makes these really weird dinosaur-like sounds that encourages me to sing this song to her.

D-I-N-O-S-A -- U R A DINOSAUR!

So, should you get a dog?  Here are some wonderful ways that dogs can make your life better!
  • You need an exercise buddy
  • You want a best friend and confidant (aside from yourself, BF/GF, best friend, etc.)
  • You want a fuzzy face to greet you after a hard day at work
  • You need some routine in your life
  • You need something to "take care of"
If you are seriously considering adopting a dog, do all your research prior to the adoption.  Check the dog for:
  • Behavior problems
  • Socialization issues
  • Health problems
And make sure you ask yourself these questions before adopting!


Should you adopt?  YES!  There are so many dogs out there that need loving homes.  I never thought that I would adopt an adult dog.  I always considered myself a puppy person.  However, Nutmeg was such a great decision for us.  This year has been quite the roller coaster, and Nutmeg definitely has been our glue in some aspects.  Last night, Bret and I were actually talking about how it's going to be such a sad day when Nutmeg passes away (yes, it was a depressing conversation).  She has left a big pawprint (har har har!) in both our lives and other's lives. 


Go to your local animal shelter today and see if there is a furry friend waiting there for you.  If you can't adopt, why not volunteer?  Shelters are always looking for helping hands.  Spend some of your time helping out to those who need it.


I will conclude with OK Go's newest music video for "White Knuckles" featuring a bunch of talented pooches.  Additionally, I'd like to include my favorite scene from the life-changing children's movie "All Dogs Go To Heaven" (I remember the pizza looking soooo good in this scene...) and one of my favorite YouTube videos, Bizkit the Sleepwalking dog:












Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones