Like I mentioned earlier, this has been a successful weekend.  Yesterday, Bret and I went to an apple festival which was tons of fun.  We ended up leaving with 6 gallons of fresh, pressed apple cider (two for us and four to distribute to friends + family).  After the festival, we stopped by Schram's Farms to get some pumpkins.  I took a nice, high quality photo (sarcasm) of some of the pumpkins at the patch.  Bret and I walked away with two big guys and three little ones. 

During our little adventures yesterday, I kept tabs on some songs that suited the autumn/fall mood that we were in.  The playlist can be found below.  Since it's October, my obsession for Halloween must be fulfilled -- so cue the horror/scary/thriller movies!  I made some chocolate chip pumpkin muffins last night for when we watched Shutter Island.  The movie was good, but I really was in the mood for Paranormal Activity. I watched the trailer for the sequel yesterday (knowing full well that I won't see it in the theater), but it sparked my interest to see the original which Bret and I haven't done yet.

This morning, Bret requested some hot apple cider.  I don't have any mulling spices, so I used the recipe that I have to spice up the cider.  Just put the cider on medium-low on the stove to heat it up, and add these spices.  The recipe doesn't call for cinnamon or ginger, but I like to add both to give it a little more zing:


1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp nutmeg (NUTMEG!!!!!)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger


If you have coffee filters, put them all in the coffee filter and tie with a string. If you don't have coffee filters, use two paper towels layered on top of one another, put the spices in the middle, and tie with a string. Put the little satchet along with the cinnamon stick inside your pot of hot cider and let steep until your preferred taste.
And Voila!

Have some spiced apple cider while you listen to the playlist :)

The playlist includes:

Moldy Peaches - Anyone Else But You
Kate Nash - Merry Happy
Johnny Flynn - The Box
David Karsten Daniels - That Knot Unties?
Sondre Lerche -To Be Surprised
Commander Cody - Hot Rod Lincoln (Bret's addition to the list...)
Brett Dennen - When I Go
Alexi Murdoch - All of My Days
Tunng - Woodcat
Vampire Weekend - Taxi Cab
Matt Costa - Astair
Kanye West ft. Chris Martin - Homecoming

I know I keep talking about Mumford & Sons, but I really can't get enough of them.  We played "Timshel" on our trip to the pumpkin patch.  I love this song...  So pretty, simple, meaningful.  I mean really, if it doesn't touch your inner core, then I don't know what does.








Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones