There are a lot of things that I could go living without.  I could live without Pittsburgh traffic in the morning.  I could live without watching any television (with the exception of Weeds and The Big C).  I could live without having to take Nutmeg out every time she gets her "poopy face" (Note: Must train Nutmeg to open front door).

With that being said, there are some things I can't live without.  One of these things was introduced into my life around 5 years ago when I came to college.  Never before was I introduced to this wonderful, key component to my every day life.  I love waking up every morning know that I will be able to enjoy the rest of my day because of its existence.  What is it you might say?


COFFEE!
COFFEE!
COFFEE!
COFFEE!


And today is...
NATIONAL COFFEE DAY! 

I love coffee.  It makes me feel warm and cozy and keeps my going throughout the day.  I love it in the morning.  I love it in the evening.  I love it with nutmeg and cinnamon.  Mmm mmm mmm....

So, in honor of such a wonderful addition to our every day lives, I've put together a playlist devoted to coffee (you can find it at the bottom of the post).  Sorry all you tea drinkers.  Today is NOT your day.

A few of my favorites include:

"Starfish and Coffee" by Matt Nathanson
This song was originally done by Prince, but I really couldn't bring it to myself to put Prince on this blog.  Bret and I would go to the Matt Nathanson concerts here in Pittsburgh at the Rex Theater, and he always played this as a sing-a-long for the crowd.

"Black Coffee" by Peggy Lee
I must admit, I found this song today and listened to it a few times before deciding to put it on the playlist.  I must admit -- It's a pretty sexy song.  The intro reminds me of "Oogie Boogie Blues" from Nightmare Before Christmas.

"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon
I think one of the most memorable lines in this song is "I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee... clouds in my coffee...!"  That's a good tribute to coffee, right?

"Run Around" by Blues Traveler
Now, this song was impossible to learn.  Some parts of the song you can figure out, but John Popper sings so fast at some parts that you can't keep up.  However, there is one part I know everyone remembers, and that's the part where he yells: "Oh! I like coffee and I like tea!"  Definitely a coffee-worthy song.




Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones